Thursday, April 4, 2013

Being present in a wonderful day

Today was one of those days that I hope is a sign of the future. Several new clients booked. I had some excellent moments of client work and several good business meetings. It was one of those days where life just seemed to flow.

Some times, it is tempting to wonder - can this last? It is one of those thought patterns we are best to avoid. It is a time when it is important to remember - be here now. Don't let things from the past and future get away with you. Don't take things for granted, get overconfident, etc.
The pendulum swings both ways, so when God gives you good fortune, use it. Be thankful, grateful and present. And I think that was the lesson of the day. Don't forget to be here now.

I had a couple of clients over the last few weeks where that was the primary issue. The person was either focused on the past - regret, guilt, anger, etc. - or on the future - fear and want. One of the two people kept telling me about the things she needed to do, the burdens she carried. What it looked like she needed more than anything was to be UN-hypnotized. She needed to break out of that rut - to break state, as I talked about in my last posting.

One commenter on my last post, in response to my comment about a good nap, said that he found meditation to be quite effective - especially when he didn't have time for a good nap. Soooo true. Meditation can be a really great way to break out of a limiting state, just like sleep, a good walk, etc. And in this case, I think that's what the one client I mentioned above has now been doing.

I told her about TM, the Himalayan tradition, and mindfulness meditation. All three are forms of meditation I try to practice regularly (with varying degrees of success). I find they help a lot - especially in combination, with intuition helping me to find that right mix of traditions. Amazingly enough, the more faithful I am to the discipline of meditation, the better the results. Go figure... :-)

So in this case, I interrupted the woman as she continued to ramble on about the difficulties of life and how the future looked pretty oppressive. I just said "Stop". She looked at me with a surprised look on her face and stopped. "Look at the wall. what color is it?"
"White," she said.
"Feet are on the floor, what does the floor feel like?"
"Solid," she replied.
We did this a couple more times, and each time, she looked more centered, more present.
I finally asked her how she felt. She looked and felt like a different person.

In subsequent trance work, we got to the core of the issues that had been weighing her down, but I think that even before we went into hypnotherapy work, our little un-hypnosis session, our mindfulness moment, helped her as much as anything else. It brought her out of the trance of future and past, and centered her reality on the here and now - and when listening to teachers like Eckhart Tolle, it appears that that's one of the biggest keys to personal happiness.

I haven't had contact with that particular client for a few months now. But last I heard she was doing well. Meanwhile, the challenge is to practice what I preached that day - to learn my own lesson.

Last night I was at the Lake Harriet practice circle, a psychic practice group where we get together twice a month to compare notes, talk and practice psychic exercises. Deb, the leader of the group, brought several card decks - this one was the Faery deck, to use for readings. Use your own discernment as to what you think of that, but the results were intriguing. They were totally consistent with what every other intuitive has told me over the last few weeks. - The lesson was to let go Be here now. Quit worrying, thinking so much about how to get my business going and growing. Instead, trust in God and be present in the moment.

It's something that is probably a life-long lesson for me, as it is for most people. Even though it's always easy to be present when times are good, today seemed to go well. Whether tomorrow, I continue to get it remains to be seen. Simply, for the moment, as the day concludes and I prepare for my (overdue) bed time, I hope I can retain a little of that lesson - being present in a wonderful day.