Friday, December 16, 2011

A wealth of possibilities - in website software, that is

Wow, two blog posts in one day - and that after not having updated my blog for nearly a year. I guess things change when you free up fifty hours of your week... :-)

One primary task since my 'liberation moment ' a couple of days ago is to get my website back up to par. There have been a lot of changes in the WWW world, resulting in a number of broken links, outdated servcices, etc. And, what is the major stumbling block, Microsoft FrontPage, the website editor program I had on my old laptop (a 32 bit machine),doesn't work worth diddly on my new laptop (a 64 bit machine) . So my first step before I can do much of anything with my website is to get a new web editor program.

I had been having problems with FrontPage for a long time, anyway. So this just forced the issue. But now, it has gotten really bad. I had a link bar at the top of the each page of my site. Unfortunately, after a few edits, FrontPage corrupts the page, leaving the page containing nothing but the link bar - displayed about five times, and nothing else. I finally had to go under the covers, as it were, and manually fix the HTML code after each cycle to remove the redundant link bar - one of those times where it helps to be a software engineer as well as a hypnotherapist.

A few years ago, when I thought about replacing FrontPage, I did a web search and didn't find a whole lot out there. Now, I find a really big array of options. A few of these are free, and the rest cost money - but to my surprise, not all that much money.

I found that the basic version of the Microsoft Expression Studio - apparently the son of FrontPage, seems reasonably priced, somewhere around $150 (order of magnitude price est). Others seem to cost anywhere from $50 to $200 for a pretty good array of features. So I'm open to any suggestions. I wonder who out there has found the best web editor for WYSIWYG editing but with the ability to go in and tweak the HTML code (I'm still a software engineer, remember). I also will need to add a real storefront, a guestbook and a few other Web 2.0 features. In short, I need a real website...

Feel free to leave a comment here if you would like to share your own experiences with this little twist in the information highway.
Thanks,
- Craig R. Lang
www.craigrlang.com
www.thecosmicbridge.com