Friday, December 30, 2011

The second week

A few more observations on self-employment as I finish up the second week since my 'Liberation'.

In the last two weeks, I have spent most of my time with my nose buried in my laptop. Most of that has been involved in rewriting my website: www.craigrlang.com (which just went live, by the way). I have spent several days in a row, hardly leaving my house, and it sometimes leaves me with a rather strange, somewhat isolated feeling. I am assuming one adjusts to the change in routine, hopefully pretty quickly. But after the second week, it's finally starting to sink in - my world has fundamentally changed.

Now, much of my website change is done. There are lots more things to do, most of them on-line, and in all of this, I am surprised how little I see other people out there. When working at home, it is easy to become isolated from the rest of humanity - and yet, it is that humanity that ultimately is my link to reality. It is where clients come from, where social life is and, for a mildly extroverted person like myself, where sanity lies.

When spending the whole day with my nose in my laptop, it becomes necessary to consciously remember to stay active, to get out and socialize, to vary the scenery. In short, I need to get my keester of the house, just as much as I needed to get out of my cubicle a few weeks before. I guess that in some ways, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I'm sure there are lots more lessons to come as I have only begun the road into the world of self-employment. In the timeline of post-liberation, this is only the second week.