Wednesday, December 21, 2011

No such thing as overtime

I have heard people comment about how leisurely it is to not have to go to work in the morning. I've heard descriptions of the leisure age, etc... Well, those people have not started a business upon leaving the day job. Let me tell you - the hours spent working on stuff for the business can easily outstrip any amount of overtime put in on the day job.

Since being 'liberated' from my day job last week, I think I have probably been putting in about a 12 to 14 hour day. Most of this has been spent working on my website, bringing it up to snuff again. This is not to mention various marketing, writing, etc., projects.

I remember one of the leaders in the National Guild of Hypnotists talking about how everything you do during your work should be toward either producing for a client, or marketing your services to obtain new clients and work. In that light, when just getting started, it takes probably that long just to get the fundamentals in place.

Will it settle down after a while? Probably - it will probably settle back to "only" 60 hours a week. :-) So ultimately, doing anything like this has to be a labor of love. I couldn't imagine doing something like this unless I cared deeply for what I am doing.

I have heard the statement that when you do what you love, there is no difference between work and play. And when playing, there is no such thing as overtime.