Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Tyrany of the to-do list

In recent weeks, The Circle of Healing Arts, the healers' cooperative where Explore with Hypnosis calls home, has been growing. We have added several new people in various forms of healing modalities, and all of our practices have been growing. This next couple of weeks, our open house is taking shape. We are busier than ever...

All of this growth and activity means that we've experienced a few growing pains. One of them has been the electronic infrastructure, another has been the financial structure, while yet another another has been the organization - who does what, when. Each one of these questions has found answers and it's been fascinating to watch and be part of an organization as it takes shape. It's been a fascinating study in dynamic self-organization, a structure arising based upon a need/objective and a source of energy = us.

For me, one of the side effects has been that as we get busier, my to-do list has grown. As I think of things that need to be done, I add them to the list. In fact, I now have several lists, one for short term things - things that need to get done promptly by yesterday, one for ideas, one for tasks that take a little longer, etc.etc.etc. While they such lists tend to make it easier keep track of things I need to get done, they also can take on a life of their own. The end result is these little stress-reduction tools can, in themselves, become a source of stress.

One of the things a to-do list does for you is to lay out in full detail, just what I have set out for myself to do. As the list grows, it is immediately obvious. And I often find that when the list has reached a certain size, I begin to feel overwhelmed - usually when the window displaying the list suddenly shows a scroll bar... :-)

A couple of times, in the last month or two, I have actually awakened early - before the alarm, totally uncharacteristic of me - with the to-do list dancing in front of my mind's eye. If a client were to describe something like that to me, I would ask what they could do to lighten their load, to prioritize, to pursue other stress management strategies - time to practice what I preach.

Sometimes, when an immediate set of tasks weighs on your mind, especially if it's early in the morning, it is just best to get up, get going and get things done. I often find that checking off a few of the to-do items helps alot, and then I can close my eyes in meditation a little bit later.

Other times, to manage the stress of having too much to do - how am I ever going to get all of this done? - is to sit back and simply do nothing. A couple of days ago, as we were thick into the planning of the Circle of Healing Arts open house, and at the same time I was wrestling with some of the coop electronic infrastructure, I simply did that. Gwyn and I got out a bottle of wine, put a couple of burgers on the grill, and simply enjoyed a nice summer evening. It did wonders for putting things into perspective.

Some times you just have to play fetch with the dog, watch an old movie on TV, or do other things that have no productive value whatsoever. Not everything has to serve a purpose, and the dog dropping a rag bone at your feet is one of the best ways in the world for God to remind you of that.

Finally, I have pulled out my iPhone or iPod and played my own stress management self-hypnosis recording. Many others have told me it is pretty effective, and at times like this, it's important to remember to practice what I preach - and it helps.

But probably the best thing is to remember that like all other things in life, this too shall pass. The to-do list can sometimes look endless and ominous, yet it is made up of events and tasks that will pass, one way or another. You can simply decide not to do them, you can get them done, or you can ignore them. Either way, at some point they will be a distant memory. And on that day, you will realize that they were - and you are.

Ultimately, the key is to remember that they are only what you make them to be. It's easy to forget that in the heat of battle. But sometimes to-do lists can be challenges that force us to look away from those very to-do lists. Mindfulness exercises can help - focusing on the physical world, playing fetch with the dog, flipping a burger on the grill, wiggling your toes and feeling the beauty of a late summer evening.

The ultimate gift is the freedom of now. It is a wonderful refuge and a great way to beat the monster - the tyrany of the to-do list.