Thursday, May 15, 2014

Reprint of my article: A Short Pattern to Manage Visual Floaters



This is a draft of my re-written article on visual floaters. It's an updated version of the article I wrote for The book "Through the Open Door, Secrets of Self-Hypnosis," by Kevin Hogan and Mary Lee LaBay. 

Enjoy, and feel free to let me know what you think.
Thanx,
 -Craig

*  *  *  *  *  *

A Short Pattern to Manage Visual Floaters
© 2000-2014 by Craig R. Lang, CHt
    612-888-4976(HYPN)   craig@explorewithhypnosis.com  

Very common among we 50-somethings, visual floaters are those annoying dark spots that occasionally appear to swim into one's field of vision. At their most benign, they are merely the result of the normal aging process of our eyes. For many years, these have come and gone from my visual field, usually lasting a few days to weeks, and then vanishing. However, during the fall of 1998, one particularly annoying spot appeared, permanently fixed at the center of the visual field of my right eye. This very large dark spot occasionally interfered with my ability to focus - and occasionally even caused a degree of pain.

Several trips to the ophthalmologist established that there was no actual problem with my eyes - no retinal damage, no degeneration, etc.  The good news was that that my eyes, like the rest of me, were merely growing older. The bad news was that there is no treatment for the problem. Floaters are just something you have to live with - even this large obnoxious one swimming in the very center of my vision.

During the months prior to writing this article, in preparation for an upcoming hypnotherapy certification class, I had been reading many books on NLP, hypnotherapy, and self-hypnosis by authors such as Rossi, Hogan and Hunter. Inherent in many of the techniques suggested by these authors was the use of metaphor and guided imagery. An example might be to control pain by imagining a device, perhaps with a control knob that could be turned down to decrease the pain. Since I am an electrical engineer by trade, being both visual and analytical, such a device metaphor seemed useful in dealing with my annoying visual companion.

Also, during this time, I had become very dedicated to the study and practice of meditation, spending approximately an hour in trance each evening before retiring. In the practice of meditation, affirmations are also very significant tools. Some authors [Peterson, "Creative Meditation"] describe them as a means to accomplish useful change through the meditative process. The idea immediately suggested itself that my normal mediation time could be used to install a simple self-hypnotic pattern, reinforcing it using affirmations to help me manage the obnoxious floater problem.

That evening, as I was going into meditation, an image formed in my mind of an optical filtering device, which I imagined in place between my retina and my brain. This device was "programmed" to filter out unwanted "garbage" images, such as my floaters. I mentally switched it on and reinforced it with the affirmation: "You have a filter in your mind that removes unwanted spots from your field of vision". In addition, I installed an anchor on my left hand by touching my left thumb and middle finger (convenient when driving, with your hand around the steering wheel). Descending into a meditative state, while holding my thumb/finger anchor in place, I silently and continuously repeated this affirmation in place of my normal meditative cue words.


The next day was sunny and bright, a perfect opportunity to test my imaginary filtering device. While stuck in traffic on my way to work, the familiar spot appeared. Gripping thumb to finger around the steering wheel and silently repeating to myself: "you have a filter..." the spot abruptly vanished. It remained delightfully absent for several moments - until I moved my eyes. As it reappeared, I again repeated, "You have a filter...", placing thumb to finger. The spot again obediently faded to oblivion. Each time the spot appeared I repeated my affirmation and the spot vanished.

The next several days were clear and bright, affording lots of additional practice opportunity. Within a few weeks, I found that the mere appearance of the spot would the trigger thought of the affirmation, thus invoking the filter. Now, the moment the spot appears it triggers the filter, which suppresses it. The spot has become its own demise.

Visual floaters can be a major annoyance, and might be the sign of a more serious vision problem. Please consult your eye doctor should you experience a sudden or extraordinary occurrence of them. However, for floaters resulting from the normal aging process, this simple combination of self-hypnotic imagery, anchoring, and affirmation can help you manage them conveniently and effectively. A few evenings of trancework, combined with a few days to weeks of practice, and you may find that they have become manageable to insignificant. And the more you practice this technique, the less you will experience your unwanted visual companions.



This article was written at the request of Dr. Kevin Hogan, and can be found on page 257 of the book “Through the Open Door, Secrets of Self Hypnosis” by Kevin Hogan and Mary Lee LeBay.


Bio of Craig R. Lang  MS, CHt

Craig R. Lang is a Certified Hypnotherapist with the National Guild of Hypnotists and the principal of Explore with Hypnosis. He specializes in hypnotic healing work with people who have experienced reality-transforming events such as UFO encounters, metaphysical experiences and sudden psychic awakenings. His dream is to help others to integrate these events into their lives. He also does hypnotherapy work to help people with career, mind-body, and life-quality issues. These include weight loss, pain relief, fear reduction and building personal confidence.

Craig is certified through the Minnesota Institute of Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy, in Minneapolis as an Advanced Clinical Hypnotherapist, NLP Practitioner and Hypnotherapy Instructor. He lives and practices in Minneapolis, Minnesota, working with a variety of clients. In addition to hypnotherapy, his other interests include meditation and research into new-science areas such as consciousness studies, UFOs and psychic phenomena.

He can be reached at his website: www.explorewithhypnosis.com, by phone at 612-888-4976(HYPN), or by e-mail at craig@explorewithhypnosis.com.