Saturday, December 15, 2012

Learning something new every day

I wrote this last week, but never got around to posting it....

I had an interesting experience a few days ago. As I was doing a work swap with a friend who is a relatively new hypnotist, exchanging sessions of trance work. The interesting thing was that being new, she had very recently studied a lot of the techniques and ideas we were practicing. At the same time, I had been doing this for about 15 years and have learned to trust a lot to intuition. However, she pointed out some interesting thoughts - things I had never thought of.

Mostly, it was on styles of hypnosis work, making post-hypnotic suggestions, etc. I had wondered about them at the time. But when I looked up some of what she had said I found that sure enough, there it was. What I had learned a long time ago had since been significantly improved (surprise, surprise).

Most of the changes were relatively small details, but we all know how much details can affect the big world in a big way. So as I took her suggestions to heart, I found that indeed, she was right. We learn something new every day.

Every day life serves us up events and challenges to stress our knowledge. Most of the time we succeed at what we set out to do. Sometimes we just have a learning experience. Every moment, if we are paying attention enough, we learn something new.

Later the same day, as I was driving down the freeway, I saw someone doing something extremely dangerous. He had missed his exit from the interstate and so had stopped along the right shoulder. Now he was backing up and once he reached the exit, turned off the freeway and accelerated rapidly down the ramp. If I hadn't been looking at just the right time, I would have hit him.

I think of this every time my cell phone rings while I am driving. I think of this every time I see a new hypnosis script, or any time there is a minor hiccup in the routines of the day. Lots of little lessons each day challenge our awareness. They combine to teaches us a big and fundamental lesson. We learn something new every day.