Saturday, February 20, 2010

An interesting experience while writing...

A few very brief notes as I watch the Olympics and waste a bit of time idly surfing on-line.
I spent the whole day plinking away on Children of the Stars - writing a lot of little pieces of the story: scenes and sideplots that will eventually weave into the main story.

An interesting thing happened as I was writing. One of the characters suddenly "decided" she was going to do something different. Suddenly as I was writing a piece of action drama, I found her doing something completely unanticipated. It was almost as if she had come up with the idea on her own. As I read back what I had written, I was "surprised" by how she had gotten through the particular challenge in the story.

Several experienced writers have told me that this happens, but I hadn't experienced it before now. It's an interesting experience.

In the last couple of days I've been getting into the story. Looking forward to getting into it tomorrow, too...