Friday, August 7, 2009

Notes from the Guild - Day 1 of the NGH convention

Greetings from day 1 of the National Guild of Hypnotists conference in Marlborough (Boston), MA., the main gathering of the National Guild of Hypnotists each year.

Each year, we take over the Royal Plaza center in Marlborough, with three days of study of healing, trance and consciousness study. This is the tenth year I've been to the NGH, and each time I come here, I find something new and different - learning a totally new dimension of things about hypnosis and hypnotherapy. It's been a long day - starting at 9AM (I overslept the opening session, if you must know... :-). The whole day was filled with workshops - of varying topics and leaving me with varying impressions.
  • Combining EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique, aka tapping) with hypnotic induction.
  • Hypnosis and the Internet.
  • Developing and using ESP in your hypnosis practice, presented by Barbara Dryden Masse, a psychic and hypnotherapist with whom I've associated over the last 10 years.
  • "how to use the web mesmerizingly" - a discussion on how to write material more in story form, a way to make the greatest impression on the reader.
  • A workshop on personal/professional safety, put on by two speakers on self defence, law enforcement, etc., who are also hypnotists.
  • Mid afternoon, I went to a talk on working with children. This was appropriate for me, since several of my recent (and presumably future) clients have been adolescents to young teens.
  • The final talk I went to during the day was on working with deep trance, what is known as the Esdaile, Seycort and similar states - deep delta-state hypnosis. I also went to this talk last year and found that the teacher had done some interesting research since then.

After supper, I went to a two-hour workshop how to anchor hypnotic effects using cues from the physical environment, memories, touching the fingers together, etc., honing and fine-tuning the NLP and anchoring techniques I've learned over the years. The biggest theme of the day was fine-tuning - honing and improving what I've learned in the past.

One thing I've realized - I have become one of the more senior members of the guild - at least among those at the NGH conference this year. Many attendees were in their first or second year of their practice and reminded me of where I was about 10 years ago. Much of what I've noted is that the best teacher is experience. We all have a lot of learning to do...

And that was just day one...